- Net business wins in the quarter of $2,415 million; a net book to bill of 1.22.
- Closing backlog of $21.2 billion, an increase of 2.4% on quarter four 2022 or an increase of 8.4% on quarter one 2022.
- First quarter revenue of $1,978.6 million representing an increase of 4.0% on prior year revenue and 5.3% on a constant currency organic basis.
- Quarter one adjusted EBITDA of $399.1 million or 20.2% of revenue, an increase of 17.2% on quarter one 2022.
- GAAP net income attributable to the Group for quarter one of $116.7 million or $1.41 per diluted share.
- Quarter one adjusted net income attributable to the Group was $239.8 million or $2.90 per diluted share, an increase of 5.1% on quarter one 2022 adjusted earnings per share.
- $250 million repayment made on Term Loan B debt. Net debt balance of $4.2 billion with Net debt to adjusted EBITDA ratio of 2.8x.
- Full year 2023 revenue guidance reaffirmed in the range of $7,940 - $8,340 million, representing a year-on-year increase of 2.6% to 7.7%, and full year 2023 adjusted earnings per share1 guidance in the range of $12.40 - $13.05, representing a year-on-year increase of 5.5% to 11.1%. Adjusted earnings per share to exclude amortization, stock compensation, foreign exchange restructuring and transaction-related / integration-related adjustments.
Dublin, Ireland, April 26, 2023 – ICON plc (NASDAQ: ICLR), a world-leading healthcare intelligence and clinical research organization, today reported its financial results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2023.
CEO, Dr. Steve Cutler commented, “ICON’s first quarter results reflect continued demand for our broad portfolio of services despite the challenging macroeconomic environment. Our unique position in providing scaled full-service, functional and hybrid solutions is resonating well across customer segments, resulting in 8.4% backlog growth on quarter one 2022. Financial performance was solid with year-over-year revenue growth of 5.3% on a constant currency organic basis, along with another strong quarter of adjusted EBITDA growth, increasing 17.2% over quarter one 2022. Adjusted earnings per share increased 5.1% on a year-over-year basis, despite the anticipated substantial increase in interest expense. We are reaffirming our financial outlook for the full year 2023, with revenue guidance of $7,940 - $8,340 million and adjusted earnings per share of $12.40 – $13.05.”
Read the consolidated income statements and summary balance sheet data.
First Quarter 2023 Results
Gross business wins in the quarter were $2,858 million and cancellations were $443 million. This resulted in net business wins of $2,415 million and a book to bill of 1.22.
Revenue for the first quarter was $1,978.6 million. This represents an increase of 4.0% on prior year revenue or 5.3% on a constant currency organic basis.
GAAP net income attributable to the Group was $116.7 million resulting in $1.41 diluted earnings per share in quarter one 2023 compared to $1.36 diluted earnings per share in quarter one 2022. Adjusted net income attributable to the Group for the quarter was $239.8 million resulting in an adjusted diluted earnings per share of $2.90 compared to $2.76 per share for the first quarter 2022.
Adjusted EBITDA for the first quarter was $399.1 million or 20.2% of revenue, a year-on-year increase of 17.2%.
Cash generated from operating activities for the quarter was $175.5 million. During the quarter $26.7 million was spent on capital expenditure. At March 31, 2023, the Group had cash and cash equivalents of $279.9 million, compared to cash and cash equivalents of $288.8 million at December 31, 2022 and $559.1 million at March 31, 2022. $80 million of the revolving credit facility was drawn down at March 31, 2023. Additionally, $250 million of Term Loan B payments were made during the quarter resulting in a net indebtedness of $4.2 billion at March 31, 2023.
In addition to the financial measures prepared in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), this press release contains certain non-GAAP financial measures, including adjusted EBITDA, adjusted net income attributable to the Group and adjusted diluted earnings per share attributable to the Group. Adjusted EBITDA, adjusted net income and adjusted diluted earnings per share exclude amortization, stock compensation, foreign exchange gains and losses, restructuring and transaction-related / integration-related adjustments. While non-GAAP financial measures are not superior to or a substitute for the comparable GAAP measures, ICON believes certain non-GAAP information is useful to investors for historical comparison purposes.
ICON will hold a conference call on April 27, 2023 at 08:00 EDT [13:00 Ireland & UK]. This call and linked slide presentation can be accessed live from our website at http://investor.iconplc.com. A recording will also be available on the website for 90 days following the call. In addition, a calendar of company events, including upcoming conference presentations, is available on our website, under “Investors”. This calendar will be updated regularly.
This press release contains forward-looking statements, including statements about our financial guidance. These statements are based on management's current expectations and information currently available, including current economic and industry conditions. These statements are not guarantees of future performance or actual results, and actual results, developments and business decisions may differ from those stated in this press release. The forward-looking statements are subject to future events, risks, uncertainties and other factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those projected in the statements, including, but not limited to, the ability to enter into new contracts, maintain client relationships, manage the opening of new offices and offering of new services, the integration of new business mergers and acquisitions, the impact of COVID-19 on our business, as well as other economic and global market conditions and other risks and uncertainties detailed from time to time in SEC reports filed by ICON, all of which are difficult to predict and some of which are beyond our control. For these reasons, you should not place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements when making investment decisions. The word "expected" and variations of such words and similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are only as of the date they are made and we do not undertake any obligation to update publicly any forward-looking statement, either as a result of new information, future events or otherwise. More information about the risks and uncertainties relating to these forward-looking statements may be found in SEC reports filed by ICON, including its Form 20-F, F-1, F-4, S-8, F-3 and certain other reports, which are available on the SEC's website at http://www.sec.gov.
(1) Our full-year 2023 guidance adjusted earnings per share measures are provided on a non-GAAP basis because the company is unable to predict with a reasonable degree of certainty certain items contained in the GAAP measures without unreasonable efforts. For the same reasons, the company is unable to address the probable significance of the unavailable information.
ICON plc is a world-leading healthcare intelligence and clinical research organization. From molecule to medicine, we advance clinical research providing outsourced services to pharmaceutical, biotechnology, medical device and government and public health organizations. We develop new innovations, drive emerging therapies forward and improve patient lives. With headquarters in Dublin, Ireland, ICON employed approximately 41,150 employees in 109 locations in 53 countries as at March 31, 2023. For further information about ICON, visit: www.iconplc.com.
Source: ICON plc
Contact: Investor Relations +1 888 381 7923
or Brendan Brennan Chief Financial Officer +353 1 291 2000
Kate Haven Vice President Investor Relations +1 888 381 7923
All at ICON