ICON’s extensive Infectious Disease expertise enables us to consistently select the best sites, expedite start-up timelines, and achieve enrolment targets for our clients. We apply proven strategies to clinical trials that minimize risk and generate high-quality, reliable data reducing the time and cost of bringing new therapies to market.
ICON Infectious Disease experience in the last five years
Infectious Disease capabilities
ICON has extensive Infectious Disease expertise and over 650 infectious disease trained staff around the globe that are adept in the causes, symptomology, progression and regional standard of care across a broad range of infectious diseases. These individuals bring forward hands-on experience in the delivery of Infectious Disease trials—particularly complex trials conducted in the critical care setting. These experts have extensive expertise in the planning, implementation, and execution of studies involving healthy, adult and vulnerable patient populations to meet regulatory standards both effectively and ethically.
Infectious Disease experience
- Strong leadership team with well over 120 years of combined experience
- Pre-clinical through post-approval solutions
- Expertise in specimen identification, collection, evaluation and management
- Strong relationships with global Infectious Disease investigators, sites and site networks
- Robust feasibility questionnaires, including microbiology local laboratory surveys
- Experience with antivirals, antimicrobials, antifungals, and parasitic diseases
- Experience in all major drug classes for small molecules, monoclonal antibodies, and nutraceuticals used as mono- and adjunctive therapies.
COVID-19 clinical operations
Keeping your clinical trial on track in an evolving environment.
Letter from ICON CEO
ICON's CEO Steve Cutler on our current organisational response to the evolving situation with COVID-19.
Remote Operations Support
ICON has a range of existing services that will support you to keep your clinical trial on track including Direct to patient support, In-home & Alternative Site Clinical Services, remote monitoring and FIRECREST solutions to provide site and patient training remotely.
Excellence in Microbiology (EIM) Committee
World Class team of experts with extensive microbiology experience that collaborate with scientists to ensure the most appropriate protocol design and best in class analytical methods. The committee also partners to ensure quality, timely and accurate results reporting.
Government Sponsored & Funded Studies
For nearly 25 years, ICON has managed basic, applied, and clinical research operations for studies both sponsored, and funded by Government and Public Health bodies, including the United States (US) Government including the U.S. military, the National Institutes of Health (NIH), as well as commercial customers and academic institutions receiving federal research funding. We have supported basic, applied, and clinical infectious disease biomedical research efforts and several hundred clinical trials with over 7,000 subjects – many in the areas of vaccines, antivirals, antibiotics, and other treatments for infectious diseases. We provide concept identification, bench testing, biosafety Level- (BSL-) 3/4 testing, product manufacturing support, and clinical trials for bacterial, viral, parasitic, and emerging diseases.
Investigator Site Networks
ICON has developed close and productive working relationships with more than 1,500 investigators including hospitals (academic and tertiary), Infectious Disease physicians and specialty sites/site networks in 39 countries.
ICON’s clinical research and laboratory services offer the optimal trial experience for clients and investigative sites by using an integrated approach to Infectious Disease study execution:
- Lab team members are fully integrated into study teams
- Culture, identification and susceptibility
- Customized minimum inhibitory concentrations (MIC)
- Testing all specimen types & Isolates
- Semi-quantitative and quantitative cultures
- Species level identification
- Anaerobic chambers for culture and susceptibility tests
- Long-term storage
- Custom assay transfer & validation
FIRECREST digital solutions increase efficiency in clinical trials by driving site performance and enhancing patient engagement. It is deployed in over 140 indications, across 13 therapeutic areas with over 490,000 unique, active user accounts, including the top 10 global pharmaceutical companies.