ICON has supported success in ophthalmology drug and device development across the globe
Rare, genetic, age-related and degenerative ophthalmologic conditions currently affect an estimated 285 million people worldwide. Aging populations mean that glaucoma alone is expected to affect more than 80m people worldwide by 2020, potentially becoming the leading cause of blindness.
In addition to supporting Fighting Blindness, one of the foremost European patient led research charities for ophthalmic disease, ICON is a trusted partner for ophthalmic development for both medical devices and pharmaceuticals.
As a global, full-service CRO, we’ll work with you to maximise efficiency and value—from trial design to commercialisation and beyond.
ICON offers proven expertise, helping clients achieve success across the following ophthalmology areas:
- Age-related macular degeneration
- Dry Eye Disease (DED)
- Macular Edema
- Ocular disease
- Retinal diseases
Retina implant technology and digital devices are growing in importance in their contribution to the fight against blindness. For age-related conditions such as glaucoma, they can help address the challenge of poor adherence to a drug regimen.We have assisted clients in meeting FDA and other international regulatory requirements, and conducting clinical studies for numerous ophthalmic related device projects:
- Intra-corneal inlay for the treatment of presbyopia
- Non-surgical vision restoration therapy software device
- Suite of novel devices to detect macular degeneration
- Ophthalmic image processing software
- Artificial cornea
ICON has provided operational and clinical expertise, helping clients maximise success from design to commercialisation. We work with you to:
- Optimise site selection with our trusted databases and clinical networks
- Streamline your trials with integrated research capabilities
- Maximise commercial success with competitive analysis and market expertise - our Clinical Outcomes & Assessment group has helped clients deliver compelling payer evidence through effective PRO and ClinRO strategies.
- Ensure the safety of your product using medical imaging and regulatory expertise
- Increase your product’s impact with strategic communications planning services